St. Augustine, Florida
Click thumbnail photos to enlarge; use browser back button to return to this page.
St. Augustine was founded in 1565 by Spanish soldiers and is considered the oldest city in the United States. It remained under Spanish control until 1763 when it was ceded to England after the Treaty of Paris in 1763. During the Revolutionary War, it remained loyal to England. By 1783, all of Florida was returned to Spanish control until it became an American territory in 1821. Indian uprisings made the area unsafe in the next few years but eventually the end of the Seminole War made Florida safe. In 1845, Florida became the 27th state of the Union.
|Looking down St. George St. into the old city.|
|The oldest wooden schoolhouse in the United States.|
|Inside the Basilica-Cathedral. Construction on the church started in 1793 but, in 1887, fire destroyed all but the exterior walls.|
|Henry Flagler, a business partner of John D. Rockefeller at Standard Oil built or owned three luxury hotels in St. Augustine. Today, the Ponce de Leon Hotel is Flagler College, the Alcazar Hotel is Lightner Art Museum and the Cordova Hotel is a new luxury hotel, Casa Monica.|
|St. Augustine was used to house American prisoners of war during the Revolutionary War. As the sign indicates, one such prisoner was Edward Rutledge, brother of John Rutledge, who owned the Rutledge House in Charleston.|
|View towards the Bridge of Lions which connects St. Augustine with Anastasia Island.|
|Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine's fort, which protected the city.|
Back to Itinerary Page
Next Trip Page